The brief history of the temple is as follows
- This shrine is known to have been visited by the Maratha kings, Chatrapati Shivaji and his son Rajaram Maharaj. Peshwa Balaji Vishwanath and Raghunath used to frequent this place.
- According to history, Nana Phadanvis, the diwan of Peshawar, had renovated this shrine.
- In 1437, a Pune trader Chimanji Antaji Nayik Bhinde built a court hall in the temple.