The brief history of the temple is as follows
- Originally, the temple was in a small thatched hut. Subsequently over the years, structures were added to the temple. The major contribution was from Sethupathi who ruled Ramanthapuram.
- The sanctum for the temple was added by the King of Sri Lanka, King Parakramabahu. In the middle of 18th century the town was captured by the Muslim leaders. In the year 1795 CE it was taken over by the British East India company. In 1947, the town became a part of India