Srisailam has a very great ancient history
- Years: 1325-1448 This period of the Reddi Kings also known as the Golden Age during which most of the rulers did great service to the temple. Some of them are: A Reddi King named Prolaya Reddy constructed a path with steps for easy access to Srisailam. The Velama Chiefs constructed flight of steps at Jatararevu, en-route from Umamaheswaram to Srisailam.
- Years :1336-1678 A Mukhamandapam (a sacred place where people are not allowed to enter) and a Gopuram (monumental tower at the enter of the temple) of the Mallikarjuna temple was constructed.
- Year :1674 AD The Maratha King Chatrapathi Shivaji Maharaj undertook some renovations of the temples. Later the Moghul emperors conquered the temple and handed over the responsibility to the Nizam
- In 1929 the British government formed a temple management committee.
- In 1949 the temple came under the control of the Endowments Department and its past glory was replaced.